Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jesus is not my favorite

Before you yell “Blaspheme” please hear me out. The other day I was driving down the local highway and I pulled to a stop at a four way light. In front of me was a car that had a sticker on its bumper representing, what I assumed, was the passengers favorite band. As I stared at the sticker for a while my mind began to wonder as it normally does and I thought, “How boring it must be to ride in that car if that’s the only band you listen to.” It wasn’t that the band was a bad band to listen to or that I didn’t like the band, but the same band over and over again. While I will assume there are those fanatics who only listen to one band I also began to rationalize it out – just because it is their favorite band that probably doesn’t mean that is the only band they listen to. I know for myself I have favorite restaurants and favorite foods, but I eat other things. I have favorite television shows and favorite sports teams, but much to the grim of my wife I watch other things as well. I have a favorite flavor of ice cream, but I tend to venture away from that favorite every now and again. I have my favorite seat but I sit in other seats. I think you get the idea, just because something is my favorite doesn’t mean that’s all I choose to watch, eat or do with my time. I too could relate to the passengers in front of me with their sticker as I too have a favorite band, but heaven forbid I listen to only that one band – no matter how many good songs they may have. And that got me thinking even more. I love Jesus, but He is not my favorite – HE IS MY ALL. A favorite gets its play the majority of the time or even is picked above other things, but there are times when our favorites aren’t always our only choice. For example, my favorite sports team is the Kansas City Chiefs. If you know anything about football then you would know that the Chiefs are not playing my favorite type of football so I found myself changing the channel this past Sunday. If Jesus is only our favorite I fear we might do the same thing at times. Change the channel. Pick another station that fits our needs. Have a new flavor every now and again. So with this line of thinking I have come to conclude that once again – Jesus is not my favorite, HE IS MY ALL. He is all I need, want and desire. I have made my choice and that choice is Jesus and that way of life is following Him. Favorites aside, Jesus tops them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment